In this article “How to become a Cloud Solution Architect” you would get to know every aspect of cloud solution architect career path so that you can easily decide; Is cloud computing right path for me …or not? By reading this post you will get know how to start? And what to know before following this career path?
Nowadays cloud solution architect is one of the hottest and most demanded career profession in the IT industries. So let’s get started to know about this hottest and trending career. These are the following useful information, this article going to cover up.
Use this table to go into specific spot
- 1 What is meant by Cloud Solution Architect?
- 2 Education required to become a Cloud Solution Architect
- 3 Top 5 cloud computing Certifications for Cloud Solution Architect
- 4 What will you learn as a Cloud Solution Architecture?
- 5 Required Skills set to become a Cloud Solution Architect
- 6 What are the Tools used by a Cloud Solution Architect?
- 7 How to become a Cloud Solution Architect [Step-by-Step] Procedure
- 8 [Step 3] to Become a Cloud Architect: Concept of Cloud Computing
- 9 Cloud Solution Architect Job Description
- 10 Cloud Solution Architect Career Scope
What is meant by Cloud Solution Architect?
Architect (General term): Someone who makes plan and design before actual construction happening by understands all the requirement of a project referred as an architect. That means we can’t build anything durable without any prior planning and designing.
Thus we can say that an architect plays a vital role in the foundation to build something stable and efficient.
Architect (Cloud Computing): A Cloud Solution Architect is a person who is responsible to build an environment/ Infrastructure over to the cloud (click here to know complete detail about the cloud & cloud computing) by planning and designing the available resources.
The resources used to build a cloud infrastructure could be routers, switches, servers, firewalls, storage device, virtual machines, memory, load balancers, etc.
A Cloud Solution Architect also called to be as Cloud Architect / Cloud Engineer / Cloud Computing Architect / Solution Architect.
Education required to become a Cloud Solution Architect
Education 1 (Mandate): 12th Standard
You must have to pass your senior secondary High school (12th standard) with science stream (Physics/Maths/Computer) in order to become a cloud solution architect.
Education 2 (Mandate): Bachelor’s Degree
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent. A person who wants to pursue cloud computing career path must have a technical background.
This not completely true, anyone can become a cloud engineer/cloud solution architect even if they have done their graduation in B.A. (Bachelor of Arts). However, most of the cloud engineers are from technical background.
The most important thing needed to become a cloud solution architect is the skills set you should have (check the Skills set down in this article).
If you are from a non-technical background and you are passionate about cloud computing then you should read this article “How a non-technical make a career in Cloud Computing”
Education 3 (Optional): Master’s Degree
Lots of candidates go for the higher studies after just completing their bachelor’s, however, to become a cloud solution architect bachelor’s degree is more than sufficient.
To get entry level job no need to do masters but this would be a great help at the time of promotion.
The best option to enrol for master’s program while doing the job as the vast majority of people (IT enthusiast) preferred.
Top 5 cloud computing Certifications for Cloud Solution Architect
There are many cloud vendors who provide certification in cloud architecture. Certification ensures that you are mastered in particular cloud services and so you are apt to be hired.
IaaS, PaaS and SaaS are the three services given by cloud service provider to the customers. So being a cloud solution architect you are going to get mastered in IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service). Therefore your area of expertise will be IaaS.
These are the following certifications, which are in most demand (Descending order)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) has been securing its position for several years. And so, AWS is the largest shareholder in the cloud industry followed by Microsoft Azure.
What will you learn as a Cloud Solution Architecture?
- What is Cloud Computing and how it comes to existence (History of cloud computing)
- Why cloud technology is being popular. Benefits of using cloud services for an organisation.
- What are the features of cloud and how to use?
- Different cloud provider in the industry and difference between them.
- Types of Cloud Services: Infrastructure-as-a-Service (Iaas), Platform-as-a-Service (Paas), Software-as-a-Service (Saas)
- Cloud deployment models: Private cloud, Public cloud, Hybrid Cloud, Community Cloud
- Cloud services such as compute, networking, storage, and database
- How to manage cloud environment efficiently
- Concepts of elasticity and scalability
- Data Storage and Recovery techniques
- Cloud Security threats and their countermeasures
- Cloud Architecture (Front End & Back End)
- How to Plan and Design cloud services efficiently and effectively
Required Skills set to become a Cloud Solution Architect
These are the skills set you must have if you want to pursue cloud computing career path. So these are the few most common knowing and necessary skills a cloud solution architect should have…
- Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac
- Domains/Services in Cloud Computing: Compute, Networking, Database, Storage & Migration, Management, Scalability and Security
- Networking: LAN/WAN technologies, OSI model and TCP/IP suite, File Transfer Protocol (FTP), Domain Name System (DNS), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Telnet and Secure Shell (SSH), Load balancer, Content Delivery Networks (CDN), Access Control List (ACL), Network Address Translation (NAT), Routing tables, Switches, Router and Firewalls.
- Cloud Architecture designing
- Configuration and deployment of cloud infrastructure
- Management and maintenance of the cloud services
- Web servers and application servers
- Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
- Computing devices
- Hypervisors and virtualization software
- Virtual Machines (Hardware + Software Virtualization)
What are the Tools used by a Cloud Solution Architect?
Tools would depend upon which of the cloud service provider you are going to choose to get expertise in cloud solution architect.
The prerequisite before using tools
 You should have PC or laptop (the configuration could be in medium range (not too high or not too low))
 Internet connection to reach out the cloud services and to get the benefit of resources which you have purchased or rented from a cloud provider.
Suppose you decide to get expertise in AWS (Amazon Web Services) cloud services. So the tools which you are going to use as a cloud solution architect would be followings…
- Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
- Elastic Beanstalk
- AWS Auto Scaling
- Simple Storage Service (S3)
- Elastic Block Store (EBS)
- Storage Gateway
- AWS Snowball
- Relational Database Service (RDS)
- Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
- Route 53
- Elastic Load Balancing (ELB)
- Simple Notification Service (SNS)
- Simple Queue Service (SQS)
- Identity Access Management (IAM)
Microsoft Azure also having these types of tools to manage and design cloud infrastructure but with different names. Know the list
How to become a Cloud Solution Architect [Step-by-Step] Procedure
[Step 1] to Become a Cloud Architect: Senior Secondary High School (12th)
Like any others career required similarly to become a cloud architect, you should have a primary education before moving to any career path.
It does not matter what are the subjects you have in your high school. But if you have a choice to opt mathematics and computer science then definitely you should grab these subjects.
[Step 2] to Become a Cloud Architect: Bachelor’s Degree
Anybody can become a cloud solution architect even though not having a technical bachelor degree. That is to say, any graduate whether they have done their graduation in the technical related field or just graduated in Arts or from any subjects, they can pursue this career path.
However, if a person belongs to the non-technical background but he/she wants to be a cloud solution architect then obviously he/she have to struggle hard as compared to a person with the technical background.
If you are a non-technical guy even so you want to make a career in cloud computing. Click Here to know How?
[Step 3] to Become a Cloud Architect: Concept of Cloud Computing
First and foremost you need to know about; what is really meant by cloud computing and why cloud technology gaining so much popularities in a short period of time. What are the services offers by cloud providers? And the most important to know; what actually I am gonna do as a cloud solution architect in an organisation.
[Step 4] to Become a Cloud Architect: Practical exposure
Before going for the certifications or enrolling for any short-term courses or diploma. You can get some practical experience about the cloud platform.
Don’t worry it does not cost you any single penny you just need to complete their signup process. Many of the cloud providers give you a free tier offers, such as…
AWS (Amazon Web Service): Click Here to get complete details about the free offer from the AWS
Microsoft Azure: Click Here to know about the free usage of Azure
Google Cloud Platform (GCP): Get the free signup offer for the cloud computing aspirants by Click Here.
I am not saying you have to be perfect. You just need to get an overview of the tools provided by these cloud vendors. The tools would be your buddy in your whole cloud computing career path.
It feels good to see the tools and applications about the domain in which you are interested. Now you exactly know this is the platform I am gonna use to shape my career.
[Step 5] to Become a Cloud Architect: Training
If you are in hurry to learn cloud technology there is nothing better way to join a reputed training institute. Because they tell you the exact same thing which is written in the books but in more comprehensive and understandable way.
Not only, you will get to learn this technology in few months, there you can build your networking (connect with others people), which would eventually help you in the future to get a better opportunity.
So the coaching/ short term diploma/training helps you a lot to achieve success in cloud computing industries in short period of time.
[Step 6] to Become a Cloud Architect: Certification
Certification adds a great value to your resume and provides lots of job opportunities. However to get an entry-level job in cloud computing certification is not mandatory. You can go for it in the future while doing the job.
But I would suggest you get the certification first then start looking for the jobs. Because after getting certified the salary package you would get at least double as compare to the non-certified cloud engineers.
And if you did not enrol for training then you should be fine after getting certified. The training institutes help you in job assistance, which you don’t need, you can get a job by yourself after passing cloud solution architect exam.
So if you have full faith in yourself that you can pass certification exam without taking any training, you can escape step 5 in the way of becoming a cloud solution architect.
These are the six steps that you should have to pass in order to become a cloud solution architect.
Cloud Solution Architect Job Description
As the name implies architect, means to design something. Like a building, the architect is responsible for designing the whole building infrastructure. Same applies to cloud solution architect, but here the buildings are the cloud (Digital Cloud).
These are the following job duties a cloud solution architect is responsible for…
- Understand the need for the project and then architect the cloud infrastructure according to the requirement of resources.
- Design and implement the complete IT infrastructure environment. Also, make sure the cloud environment you made is by concerning other multi-cloud environments (Ex. AWS and Azure).
- Deploying and maintaining (management & monitoring) the cloud infrastructure.
- They ensure all the services deploy securely and correctly.
- Assist with cloud deployment and integrate newly developed and existing applications into private, public and hybrid cloud environments.
- Guide the organisation about cloud computing technology. Provide the strategies to efficiently use the space in cloud infrastructure.
- Perform routine maintenance to utilize the cloud space in a viable way. The maintenance task such as clearing and archiving logs, compressing drives, removing outdated firewall rules and removing other unused resources.
- Migrate all the application and their databases on the cloud infrastructure using industry-leading tools, utilities and methodologies.
- After deployment of applications on the cloud you have to manage it.
- Analysing business and technical requirements of the clients and translating them into technical solutions leveraging cloud and virtualization technologies.
- Helping organisations to understand the infrastructure and application architectures.
Cloud Solution Architect Career Scope
As we know cloud computing is a buzzword nowadays. Because of its features and advantages every company wants to migrate their whole infrastructure to the cloud.
So they need someone who can build an efficient and reliable infrastructure according to their requirements. Who can design a better infrastructure than a cloud solution architect, who are expert in this field?
Cloud computing was first introduced by Amazon (AWS) in 2004, and because it is a new technology not many people are expert in this field. So this industry required many cloud solution architect to connect the companies infrastructure to the cloud. And after that managing all the cloud infrastructure.
Therefore every organisation has a requirement for cloud solution architect either they have migrated their infrastructure to the cloud or not. And I don’t think this booming requirement is going to slow down anytime soon.
Cloud computing is the technology of future so if you have decided to go for this career path then definitely any doubt you should start following this career path either you are a fresher or experienced.