Scroll down below to know the top 10 most Game Engines used by game developers.
If you want to increase some extra knowledge about the video game development software (Game Engines), you can start reading from here.
A game engine is a framework used to develop the video games.
In general, the game engine provides the architecture to the games and helps to run the game. Therefore game engine is a game development platform, by using this platform a game developer (either they are beginner or professional) attempting to develop a game.
The best thing about the game engine is you are not required any prior programming languages to create some basic games.
If you are video game player then it might be possible you had heard about the “Game Engines”, but you have not known, what actually a game engine does?
In this article, I will try to give you every possible detail regarding the game engine such as
- What is game engines?
- Why games developer uses the game engine?
- Which are the features a game engine provide?
- What are topmost game engines available on the market?
- Best open source game engine
- Types of game development software
The Game Engine Benefits
The game engine is a helpful(life-saving) tool for a game developer cause it saves lots of time. Thereby you do not have to write a program for every single asset.
In case of using a game engine, developers have more time to focus on the other core elements such as game characters, storyline, gameplay style, effects, impact on the object, and the environment of the games.
That means the developer can be able to create a good video game in a short period of time.
It is hard for everyone to make a game from the scratch without taking any help from the game’s engine.
I will say if you have the option of the game engine and it is fit in your requirement, then why you are not using it? Whereas, some of the game engines are available in the market for free.
Why I am saying that use game engines because it is a difficult task to build your own game engine. To build a game engine takes lots of time that means a delay in your game developments.
Especially for the new game developer or an entrepreneur, who wants to build their own game? For those people, the game engine is nothing less than a treasure.
Types of video Game Engines
Different types of game engines are available to develop the different genre (Mobile, PC, PlayStation, VR) of games. So you can choose a game engine based on your requirements.
A game engine can belong to these categories
- 2D game development engine
- 3D game development engine
- Android game development engine
- VR (Virtual Reality) game engine
- Mobile game development engine
- MacOS game development engine
- iOS game development engine
- Windows game development engine
- PlayStation game development engine
- PC game development engine
It is also possible a game development framework (Game Engine) can support multiple platform and categories.
The Features of Game Engine
Game Engine provides you with a foundation to make a game. You can use features such as
- Artificial Intelligence
- Collision detection and response
- Rendering engine
Creating a game development framework is not an easy task for a developer. It takes the whole bunch of time to a create a unique game engine.
However, sometimes it is necessary for the game developer to build a new game engine. Because there is no existing game engine on the market who fulfil your requirements.
Related: Read about Artificial Intelligence
Top 10 Video Game Engines used by Game Developers
To choose the best game engine according to your requirements is really a tough job. Because in this competitive market there are many games engine available.
findcareerinfo.com provide you with a list of the top 10 game engines, which is recommended by many game developers. In this list, I also add some open source game development tools, which would be indeed helpful for the beginners.
You can choose among of them based on your experience and easy to use.
- Developed by Epic Games.
- This Engine is one of the most popular and widely used game engines in between the game developers.
- Unreal Engine support many platforms such as Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, HTML5 Playstation, Xbox, SteamOS, Oculus, Google VR Daydream, Samsung Gear VR and PlayStation VR.
- The popular games developed by using Unreal Engine are Batman: Arkham, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock and Dishonored.
- Written in programming Language: C++
- Developed by Unity Technologies.
- Unity allows you to create and develop interactive 2D, 3D, VR and Augmented Reality Games. The best thing is you can run those games on any platforms.
- The popular games developed by using Unity are Lara Croft, Satellite Reign, Rust, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Temple Run.
- Unity3D is one of the best 3D game development framework.
- Developed by Crytek
- Platforms supported by CryEngine are Android, iOS, PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Wii U and VR
- The popular games developed by using CryEngine are Crysis, Ryse: Son of Rome, Far Cry and State of Decay.
- This game development framework is written in Programming Language: C++, Lua, C#
- CryEngine graphics visibility power is on a different level as compared to others game engines.
- CryEngine is one of the most powerful game engines available in the industry.
- Developed by YoYo Games
- The popular games developed by using GameMaker Studio are Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, Super Crate Bo, Gunpoint and Hotline Miami
- GameMaker Studio is a great help for gaming aspirants, who does not have knowledge about programming languages. GameMaker allows you to create 2D games using many available tools.
- Best game development engine for beginners.
- This game engine is simple to use and user-friendly.
- The drawback of using GameMaker is that you cannot create and develop very advanced games.
- Developed by Amazon
- Support in many platforms such as Microsoft Windows, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS and Android
- The games developed by using Lumberyard are: Star Citizen, Everywhere, Breakaway
- Written in Programming Language: C++, Lua
- I include Amazon Lumberyard because it does not cost you any single penny. This video game engine could be a great choice for the beginners, who want to make a career in gaming.
- Lumberyard has lot more features and supports on many platforms.
 RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Game Engine)
- Developed by RAGE Technology Group
- RAGE covers many platforms such as MAC, Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Wii U
- The games developed by using this powerful engine are GTA, Max Payne and Red Dead Redemption
- The downside of using RAGE is you will have a limited amount of resources to design games as compared to the other game engines. So if you want to use this game engine, then make sure it fulfils your requirement.
- Developed by Simutronics
- Star Wars: The Old Republic and faxion online used HeroEngine
- This video game development software is written in Programming Language: C++, C#
- This game engine is highly popular with developers to designed multiplayer and online games.
- HeroEngine gives online creation feature for developers to work from different locations.
- Developed by Scirra
- Construct 2 is one of the most popular game engines to design 2D-based HTML5 games.
- Construct 2 is easy to use and gives you drag and drop feature for the game creation.
- For the beginners, it is one of the best options to choose. Construct 2 is highly recommended by many developers.
- Cocos2d is an open source game engine
- It supports multiple platforms such as iOS, Android, Mac OS, Windows and HTML5
- The games developed by using Cocos2d are Badland, Hill Climb Racing, 2048, Castle Crash, Geometry Dash etc.
- Easy to use and simple to troubleshoot the errors. You can use skeleton animation.
- Cocos2d is a great platform to start your gaming career.
- Best free game engine for beginners
- For download, Cocos2d click here.
- It is an open source framework game engine, written in C++ and Python.
- Panda3D gives lots of features to develop your games.
- This game engine is a choice for many game developers.
- One of the best free engines for game development.
- For more details and download Panda3D, you can click here.
Bonus:10 more best game development engines. You can also use these Game Engines to develop your games.
Always choose your game engine based on your game requirements.
What do you think about my top 10 game engine list? You can disagree with my opinion. Share your opinions and experiences in the comments below!